Tuesday, May 28, 2013

This Girl Was Not On Fire, But I Have Hope

 I found this at usergeneratededucation.wordpress.com. I love this girl. She looks like she is on fire. But really, right now, I just finished a difficult conversation with a student who took her NWEA test in 8 minutes. She was not a girl on fire. 

I put some distance between her taking the test and when I talked to her. Our conversation was filled with some tears as we sifted through some lies she was trying to tell me, but then we got to the root issue, the lies she believes about herself. She needs to choose for herself hope and optimism instead of a CAN'T DO IT mentality. She needs to have grit and stick-to-it-tive-ness. 

 As I am a co teacher in her room, I can't make the change but my co teacher and I can suggest to our building testing coordinator that she would be allowed to retest. I hope she can. I hope she listened to my heart that cares for her. Before she left, we played this song by Alicia Keys: This Girl is On Fire. My last words to her before she left my room were, "I want you to be the girl who sets this world on fire."  
From: This Girl Is On Fire
By: Alicia Keys

For: My Student

Ohhhh oh oh oh oh
She got both feet on the ground
And she's burning it down
Ohhhh oh oh oh oh
She got her head in the clouds
And she's not backing down

This girl is on fire...
This girl is on fire...
She's walking on fire...
This girl is on fire...

Looks like a girl, but she's a flame
So bright, she can burn your eyes
Better look the other way
You can try but you'll never forget her name
She's on top of the world 

UPDATE! She was able to retest and though she didn't hit the goal for her grade level, she did her best based on her own improvement from one time to the next. But really, what I care about is her own self determination that she CAN do it. So I tonight I met her family at their home and had a moment around the bonfire with them, telling them of her journey though this week, and how she pulled it together. I wanted them to know that character cultivation matters to me more than a grade, and I was proud of her. I brought over a gift certificate for the book store in the next town up. She will set the world on fire in a good way, in her own time, with the talents God placed in her already. KH 5/31/2013