Sunday, August 17, 2014

I Am NOT In The Business of Teaching

I am NOT in the business of teaching. I am 

foremost a seed planter. Teaching is my 

passion and my privilege and calling.


Image by Oliver Schinkten @schink10



The harvest will come in due season...the slow emerging of the seed pushing through the soil as it reveals its full manifestation of who that seed is. 

Have you ever been a seed before? Yes. Yes you have...buried deep beneath the soil, trying to make roots...trying to drink in the water...to gain strength to grow and push through the soil. It takes a lot of patience. 

I have been a seed. I have been an impatient seed and a patient seed. I have tried to push through things before it was the right time and didn't grow into the full potential of what it could have been. I have been patient and wondering when my turn will be to pop through the cold, dark soil and see sunshine at last.  

As a lover of flowers, I have planted seeds, over watered them and watched them die. I have not given them enough sunshine to even have the power to push through. I have forgotten to water them and they never grew at all. 

In each of those situations I have listed both about myself and about me as a gardener, I have learned a bit more about myself. 

What I learned is this: It is NOT over night.



Be patient and wait for the magic! 



The way to do this is best through relationships and a You Matter philosophy presented by Angela Maiers. When a little seed knows they matter, when they are needed when a person or a teacher spends time helping them to own their own genius, magic happens.


My friend Joy Kirr sent me this the other day. It touched my heart. It is from the Lorax movie. 


"Let it grow, let it grow
You can't reap what you don't sow
Plant a seed inside the earth
Just one way to know it's worth
Let's celebrate the world's rebirth
We say let it grow
Like it did so long ago
Maybe it's just one tiny seed
But it's all we really need
It's time to change the life we lead
Time to let it grow"

Fletcher Sheridan Lyrics



This year, my goal is to use Brain-based learning coupled with the 8 Intelligences and the Revised Bloom's Taxonomy along with as many PBL projects as possible all linked to two things....You Matter and Geniushour. I will watch these seeds grow. It will be my honor to tend the garden for this season of their life. 

This article called Teaching Is Not A Business was written by David L. Kirp for the Sunday Review for August 16, 2014. It is a good read. "The process of teaching and learning is an intimate act that neither computers nor markets can hope to replicate. Small wonder, then, that the business model hasn’t worked in reforming the schools — there is simply no substitute for the personal element."  

CTA: What creative ways will you grow learners this year?